Thursday, April 14, 2011

Artfest 2011 - Iron Chef Artist

Thursday night was the Iron Chef Artist event. They gave us 45 minutes and a bag of random stuff to make an art piece. Ok, I've mentioned this a million times it seems like, but it's worth mentioning again... Iron Chef Artist was the fastest 45 minutes of my life. Lea was kind enough to come tell me when I only had 20 minutes left. I have no idea what happened to the first 25 minutes. At 20 minutes to go, I seriously did not think I would have a piece finished at all. With 10 minutes to go, I had to disassemble and reassemble the whole thing. I want to say it was fun, but it was more like insane. I'll have to work up some bravery about signing up if they decide to do this event again next year.

All the photos below are Lea's. (Thank you, Lea!)

So here's me entering the USO where the event was held. We were lucky enough to be staying in a house just right across from the USO.This is the event space... soon to be filled up with a whole crowd of folks who watched us make our pieces.
Here's the photo of the bag of stuff we had to work with. It's a little hard to see, but there's a Barbie doll, board canvas, wood box, foam pieces, plastic spider, and other random flotsam.
This is me cutting the legs off of the spider. I should have figured out how to use the whole thing somehow, but once I started cutting, I couldn't be stopped.Here's me with my end piece. I was just happy to have something to show at the end. I look more relaxed here than I felt, that's for sure!

I'll have to see if I can find someone who took and posted more photos. Some of the pieces were really funny!

OH, and all the pieces were put up for silent auction. I was super happy that mine sold!

4 comments:

  1. You did wonderful for breaking everything down at the 10 minute mark and starting over. I hope you are resting and relaxing after such an event! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...that is amazing! and finished in 45 minutes? it takes me that long to even start to come up with an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you did that in 45 minutes. I love how your work is so distinctly yours. You can really tell it's a Shelly Massey original.Keep the photos coming. so fun to live through you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohmygosh....I COULD NOT take the pressure! LOL. I would collapse like a wet cardboard box. Love what you did and how cool that it sold. LOVE it.

    c

    ReplyDelete